The New « Luxembourg Rooms »
The rooms on the ground floor of the central nave will be called the « Luxembourg Rooms » – a reference to the Museum for Living Artists that was located within the Luxembourg Palace in Paris in the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. This predecessor of the musée d’Orsay housed the work of living artists whose works had been bought by the state.
In close consultation with Guy Cogeval and a team of curators, architect Virginia Fienga opens up the space to allow works of art to be displayed on several levels on high walls painted in Pompeian red. This new museography evokes the atmosphere of the Musée du Luxembourg and allows the visitor to rediscover the masterpieces of Ingres, Chassériau, Delacroix, Gérôme, Bouguereau, Daumier, Millet, Corot, École de Barbizon, Cabanel, Carolus-Duran, Stevens, Tissot, Hébert, French artists in Italy, Manet/Cézanne (before 1860), Bazille/Degas (before 1870).